The art of storytelling is as old as our species. And yet most of us don’t spend much time thinking about what makes a good story. Whether you want to write a blog post, a short story or your epic trilogy of fantasy novels, this course will help you understand the fundamentals of a good story. With short practical exercises we will look at point of view, structure and language, to help you find your voice.
In this class you”ll learn
- Structure: Beginnings, Middles and Ends, what are they for? Using foreshadowing and mirroring.
- Point of View: Choosing a point of view, and sticking to it. The perils of omniscience.
- Language: Common traps to avoid. Editing tips.
Who is this for?
This session is for anyone starting a writing project and wants to understand what’s involved, or for anyone looking to revisit the basics from a new perspective.
- 15 min (before the class start) – Arrivals
- 15 min – Introductions
- 60 min – Structuring your story and choosing a point of view
- 15 min – Break
- 60 min – Use of language and practical writing exercises
- 30 min – Feedback and networking